Removing Gnome

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 9 13:28:09 PST 2006

Beech Rintoul wrote:
> I installed the complete Gnome desktop in order to test one of the ports I
> maintain. I recently found out that the developer is no longer going to
> upgrade or support the port, so the version in the tree is essentially
> the "last" version. The port is a simple clock utility x11-clocks/wmfuzzy and
> works correctly. Anyway, I now want to remove gnome from my system. The
> problem I'm having is that apps rely on some of the Gnome stuff. How can I
> safely remove Gnome without removing the parts that are required by other
> apps? I was hoping that there is a way without doing  a pkg_delete on every
> gnome app and looking at the dependencies.

Install sysutils/portmaster
Run portmaster -s (perhaps with the -d or -D flags, see the man page)
	That will remove things that are no longer depended on
Run portmaster -l, then remove any of the leaf or root ports that you
  don't plan to use again. You could do this with 'portmaster -e' to
remove the port and its distfiles if you wish. That will also run
'portmaster -s' again for you.

hth,

Doug