php 5.2.0... go boom!

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 8 18:31:55 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:54:27PM +0100, Miros?aw Jaworski wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 01:54 -0800, Mario Theodoridis wrote:
> > wait,
> > wasn't the word on that to put
> > extension=session.so
> > up into the first line, else .... boom?
>
> Not exactly.
>
> Moving sessions to first position worked for _me_.
> People report same problem with other modules too - it's random.

Our production web server (4.11-STABLE, Apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.2.0)
uses the following order with success:

$ cat /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini
extension=gd.so
extension=mysql.so
extension=zlib.so
extension=session.so
extension=pcre.so
extension=xml.so
extension=iconv.so
extension=mbstring.so
extension=sqlite.so

> It's general problem with extensions loading order; it's mentioned
> on main php site ( previous discussions contain links ).

Yes -- and this is something that really needs to be addressed in
the ports PHP framework, because if it's worthy enough for official
PHP documentation on it, it'll continue to bite us until it's fixed.
Each PHP port could have a priority number associated with it, the
end result being that you sort the extensions loaded in order of
the priority number when making/changing extensions.ini.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |