portmaster patch for testing CONFLICTS and dependency list (Was:

B Briggs rcbdyndns at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 25 20:58:30 UTC 2006

Sorry to have to reply to my own post, but:
B Briggs wrote:

> Like I said, running for a few days now, and no problems. The main
> difference that I can see is what happens with +REQUIRED_BY with
> portupgrade tools. For instance:
> make deinstall && make install does not seem to update +REQUIRED_BY,
> neither does make deinstall && portmaster /usr/ports/X/Y - there is no
> +REQUIRED_BY after make deinstall. (This is probably because of make).
> The only way to get REQUIRED_BY back is to run pkgdb -F, and I want to
> remove portupgrade. So the question is, is REQUIRED_BY just a
> portupgrade thing? If so, then I'd make a request that portmaster only
> uses the IMMEDIATE requirements in that file, run depends list and build
> depends list or maybe just run depends list. bitstream-vera is listed on
> a bunch of my ports in REQUIRED_BY files, but it's only required in
> xorg-fonts-ttfonts to run, and this comes from the x11/xorg metaport. On
> the other hand, if +REQUIRED_BY is used for packages, then I can
> understand the recursive dependency. Bottom line is that it's much more
> meaningful to me to see the direct dependencies.

What I meant to say is that all of the +REQUIRED_BY files of the
dependant port are updated in this manner, not that the IMMEDIATE
requirements of the port are placed in its +REQUIRED_BY file. Sorry for
any confusion.

As an example of bitstream-vera, I can remove it using make deinstall.
Firefox lists it as a dependency in +REQUIRED_BY, but it's not listed in
make build-depends-list run-depends-list.
Firefox will run just fine without it (albeit with crummy fonts)

[snip]