"make fetch" refuses because dependencies aren't installed?

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep at belovedarctos.com
Mon Aug 21 22:39:53 UTC 2006

Bill,

On Aug 21, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> [root at ravage /usr/ports/www/bacula-web]# make fetch
> This port requires the Apache Module or the CGI version of PHP, but
> you have
> already installed a PHP port without them.
> *** Error code 1
>
> This is on a dedicated fetch/NFS server.  It's not supposed to have
> mod_php installed.  It would be pretty roundabout for me to install it
> just for the purpose of fetching a package.
>
> The machines that mount the ports tree via NFS shares off this do not
> have any access to the Internet for security reasons.  Thus we use
> this
> machine to fetch packages into /usr/ports/distfiles, then we can build
> them on the secured systems.
>
> It would make life easier if "make fetch" and "make fetch-recursive"
> could ignore these kinds of dependency errors.  It seems to me that
> "make fetch*" should _never_ fail because of dependencies.

I ran into the same problem and ended up making a script to do
concurrent make fetches (with a high water mark of 15 concurrent
fetches):
http://www.onlamp.com/bsd/2006/04/13/examples/fetch_distfiles.sh

Shameless plug, but I detail setting this up on page 2 of:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2006/04/13/freebsd-build-system.html

-Bjorn