ports tree tagging again

Jean-Baptiste Quenot jbq at caraldi.com
Sun Aug 20 01:09:04 UTC 2006

* Roman Bogorodskiy:

> 2. Port tree is unstable
>
> IMO, port tree  is not very stable. I mean: we're  all human and
> more or less often make  mistakes and inaccurate commits. So you
> cannot be sure that if you cvsup/portsnap your tree, it will not
> break something  (e.g. because  of some  typo). It's OK  to have
> such errors in general, and we can do nothing with it, but there
> are  a lot  of  silly  errors which  could  be  avoided and  you
> definitely don't deal with on a stable system.

However on  a stable  system you are  probably not  upgrading your
ports every day.

And even if  you're upgrading the ports.  I'm using  FreeBSD for 5
years now, and  I never encountered problems  caused by inaccurate
commits,  because most  of the  time those  errors are  fixed very
quickly.

Most errors  I get  from ports are  caused by  outdated dependency
conflicts, not by committers or maintainers mistake.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana Qwerty