ports without configure do not receive CC

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 20:34:14 UTC 2006

Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Stanislav Sedov <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:24:42 +0200
>> "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> mentioned:
>> > That leads to no end of problems if you have different settings for
>> different ports,
>> > because a port gets its specific settings and will later override
>> them with the
>> > settings that are set for all ports.
>>
>> You can use
>> .if ${CURDIR:M*usr/ports/CATEGORY/PORTNAME/*}
>> CC=XXX
>> .endif
>>
>> like construction to support this.
>>
> Or use the sysutils/portconf port, and then place your port specific
> variables in the /usr/local/etc/port.conf file, no need to clutter
> /etc/make.conf.
>
> CATEGORY/PORTNAME*: CC=XXX
> editors/openoffice*: WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED
>
> Scot

Portconf wouldn't work on my system, because the location /usr/ports is hard coded,
and that's only a link on my system. I'm using buildflags, because that is a lot
more flexible.

Anyway, it's a fact that normally a port gets CC from the ports framework. And if
a port doesn't have a configure target it will not get it from there. That this
doesn't actually have an effect for 'most' people doesn't mean that it is not a problem.

I think CC and CXX should generally go into MAKE_ENV.