slapd starting too late...

Pierre-Francois LAURAND francois.laurand at univ-tours.fr
Fri Apr 28 10:22:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are using OpenLDAP as an authentification backend on a FreeBSD 6.1-RC
  system.
OpenLDAP port ( net/openldap23-server ) has been installed with the
RCORDER option activated, so /etc/rc.d/slapd is available instead of
${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh.

When the system is starting, slapd comes up too late, after many others
daemons that require to retrieve user informations : nfsd/mountd ( when
/etc/exports contains options like -mapall=someuser,-maproot=someone...
), named ( when launched with -u ), dhcpd, mysql, httpd.... All these
daemon require an unprivilegied user ( not in ldap, but in
/etc/master.passwd ) to run, but during the boot process, these daemons
are waiting for slapd in an endless loop.
/var/log/message and /var/log/all.log only show messages like :

nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fopenldap%2fldapi/: Internal (implement
ation specific) error

In my case, slapd should be launched very early, before others daemons
that use getpw* systems calls.

/etc/nsswitch.conf contains :
group:    files [success=return notfound=continue] ldap [success=return
notfound=return unavail=return]
passwd:   files [success=return notfound=continue] ldap [success=return
notfound=return unavail=return]
hosts:    files dns
networks: files
shells:   files

So, could you help me finding how can I tell slapd to start earlier
during the rc boot stage ? I'm think that I will have to play with the
rcorder options...

--
Pierre-Francois LAURAND