libtool upgrade, entry 20060223 in UPDATING

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Tue Apr 25 18:43:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:26:39 +0200
hans at lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont) wrote:

> Frank Laszlo wrote:
>
> > Hans Lambermont wrote:
> >> The 20060223 entry in UPDATING suggests that the only reliable way of
> >> upgrading a system is to remove all packages and reinstalling from
> >> scratch.
> >> Next to that I'd like to hear from others how to accomplish this
> >> all-ports upgrade on servers where one wants the downtime to be
> >> minimal.
> >
> > portupgrade -afp isnt good enough?
>
> No, I want to have minimal downtime of the server. When using
> 'portupgrade -afp' the system is in flux for almost a week. I want to
> avoid that, and the only way I know how to avoid that is to use a
> staging and build server (at least that's the idea).

If you can build  your ports on an non-production server, use
portugrade -PP with modified package site in pkgtools.conf

If you can afford that non-production server the fastest way is to
delete all installed packages and build them all from scratch.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #17:
fat electrons in the lines