linux_base-debian - going to 3.1?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Apr 8 18:07:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:25:38PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Am Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:22:11 +0200 (CEST)
> schrieb Marko Kuntic <mkuntic at mioc.hr>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Are there any plans for upgrading the FreeBSD port of Debian Linux up to its
> > stable release (3.1) in the near future (like in time for the release of
> > FreeBSD 6.1)?
>
> Very unlikely. The default linux_base is linux_base-8. Everything is
> supposed to work with the default one. If it's doesn't break with
> another linux base port, then you are free to feel lucky (there are
> known bugs in non-default linux ports, the old maintainer wasn't
> willing to fix them and insisted that the default linux base port is
> changed to fit his style, ATM those non-default linux base ports are
> unmaintained).
>
> Some people are working on updating the default linux base to fc3. But
> this will not happen before the release. We're holding back some
> commits until the release is out of the door, since those commits would
> change too much before the release.
>
> Feel free to submit an update for the debian based linux base port, but
> even if you do it *now* it will most likely not be available in the
> release.

Definitely not; the package builds were complete and "carved in stone"
some weeks ago.

What you say is correct though; the port is unlikely to be updated
(and in fact is going to be scheduled for removal since it doesn't
build properly) unless an interested user such as yourself takes it in
hand.

Kris