bash & bash-completion

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu_bsd at zeninc.net
Thu Apr 6 07:42:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 03:35:14AM +0800, Rong-En Fan wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi.

> I have bash-3.1.10_1 and bash-completion-20060301 installed on
> a 6-STABLE box. However, each time when I want to use <tab>
> to completion a name, some wired things will happen:
[....]

Noticed the same problem a few days ago on a 6.1 PRERELEASE, and
didn't have time to send a pr for now.

> That's really wired. I have tried to remove all my .bash*,
> .profile, .shrc, .inputrc away and login, source bash_completion.
> The situation is the same. I also tried to execute
> /compat/linux/bin/bash and  source the same bash_completion.
> The tab completion works well.
>
> Since I can successfully use the same bash_completion on
> the same bash version on other linux boxes, I think it is an
> issue with our bash port. Any ideas?

I had a look at bash_completion, and it may also be an OS detection
problem, and/or lack of FreeBSD support for "some stuff": there are
lots of OS specific stuff on the script....

And perhaps starting /compat/linux/bin/bash just makes bash_completion
things it runs on a Linux box, then "does some things" crrectly....

Yvan.

--
NETASQ - Secure Internet Connectivity
http://www.netasq.com