How to modify port source code before 'make' ?

Vasil Dimov vd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 4 08:20:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:07:47PM +1000, Adrian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install a port.. I know a little and can
> make the changes I need to but when I 'make'  it
> refetches the file from /usr/ports/distfiles
> and scraps the changes I've made!
Do a
% make extract
% cd `make -V WRKSRC`
% cp file file.orig
edit file
% diff -u file.orig file > patch-file
place patch-file in the port files/ directory it will be applied every
time you do make by the `make patch' target.

> I've tried updating the dist file and putting it back in
> that directory but it seems to perform a hash check
> on it!
The checksum file can be updated by `make makesum' but this is probably
not what you want.

Good luck!

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF at dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra