Pare Down Dependencies from Gnome

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Apr 2 21:13:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 10:32 -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 11:44 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> >> I am having a hard time tracking down how some dependencies get hooked
>
> ** snip **
>
> Thanks for the great answer.  That should help.  The "WITHOUT*" options
> you listed will get me part way there.  The kerberos problem I observe
> might need some attention.  And evolution, well, it's a bit presumptuous
> to think I want to add the evolution data service to my network just to
> run gnome but oh well.  I'll build it and then make sure it's disabled.

Evolution data server isn't a network service.

> A desktop environment should not _dictate_ network service dependencies.
>      If there is a network service dependency then that feature should
> be optional and turned on by the user. (my $.02)

I can't think of any network servers that Gnome forces the installation
of, only network clients.  As a rule, any network servers installed from
the ports tree are disabled and need to be enabled by the user.

Tom

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org             tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |
| FreeBSD                                   http://www.FreeBSD.org |