Pare Down Dependencies from Gnome

Thomas-Martin Seck tmseck-lists at netcologne.de
Sun Apr 2 13:24:39 UTC 2006

* Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: ISO-8859-2, 22 lines --]
>
> Thomas-Martin Seck pí?e v ne 02. 04. 2006 v 14:28 +0200:
>
>> > Here we go, gnomevfs2 has this:
>> >
>> > .if exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libkrb5.so)
>> > LIB_DEPENDS+=   krb5:${PORTSDIR}/security/heimdal
>> > .endif
>>
>> Ack, this is most evil. Could portlint(1) be extended to mark these
>> constructs as fatal?  Hidden auto-dependencies that cannot be disabled
>> are really nasty.
>
> What if it's hidden auto-dependency in vendor configure script?
>
> The port merely records the state of reality. Don't blame it for it.

In my opinion, a port should always be explicit about it's dependencies.
The ported software itself should be, too and if not, it's a bug IMO.
Most problems with implicit dependencies in a vendor's configure script
are often cured by adding "--disable-foo" to CONFIGURE_ARGS unless the
option is explicitly enabled via an appropriate port option. If there is
no --disable-foo, then "foo" needs to be an explicit dependency.
Auto-dependencies that cannot be overridden are - IMO - a big no-no.