Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Fri Sep 30 10:52:39 PDT 2005

Hi Mike,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:16:13AM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> On Sep 28, "Greg Lewis" wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:03:49PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> > > Versions:  jdk1.5.0, firefox 1.0.6, opera 8.50
> >
> > Out of interest, what FreeBSD version and what versions of X and OpenMotif?
>
> I'm running Fbsd 5.4...I don't remember which version of X, only that I
> built it after the Xorg switch.  I'll write again when I log into my fbsd
> desktop again (I'm writing now because I feel guilty for not replying,
> maybe I should have just waited :).)

Interesting.  I usually have access only to a 4.11 box (at least for i386)
and I've retested the plugin there with positive results.  However, at the
moment I can also access a 5.4/i386 box.  I was hoping that this would
have the problem, but everything has tested out correctly on it for me.
I had thought up till now that it may be xorg that is causing the problem,
but now I'm not so sure.  There are some other differences I'll look into
though.

> > > Last but not least, a beginner question:  How do you run firefox in gdb?
> > > I found firefox-bin, but it won't launch without the environment grooming
> > > that its scriptup scripts perform, and I can't run gdb on the startup
> > > script :(
> >
> > Determine the environment variables you need to set from the start up
> > script.  Set them.  Run gdb on firefox-bin.
>
> I was afraid of that :(  I saw the other suggestion about attaching gdb
> after launch, but in the past that's always crashed the application for
> me...maybe I'll give it another try when.

Its not as hard as it sounds, you can probably get the information by
simply inserting a printenv in the appropriate place in the script.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com