Openssl 0.9.8 incompatibility

Jim Trigg jtrigg at spamcop.net
Thu Sep 29 11:00:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, September 29, 2005 1:42 pm, Jim Trigg wrote:
> Well, apparently openssl 0.9.8 is more fragile than 0.9.7g; two of my
> installed ports won't rebuild with it.  There's an easy workaround for
> security/cyrus-sasl2 -- make it with WITHOUT_NTLM defined.  I haven't
> figured out exactly how comms/kermit broke, though.

OK, found it.  In adding PSS to rsa, openssl 0.9.8 uses EM as a variable
name, and kermit uses it as a defined constant.  My personal
recommendation would be to change rsa_pss.c and rsa.h in openssl to use
something either lowercase or less generic, but I can think of an ugly
hack to kermit to get around it as well.  (My current workaround is after
installing openssl to modify $PREFIX/include/openssl/rsa.h to use PSS_EM
instead of EM.)

Should I submit this as a PR (and should I submit it upstream, or would
the maintainer deal with that)?

Thanks,
Jim