FreeBSD Port: acroread7-7.0.1

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Sep 22 08:44:44 PDT 2005

Anders Troback <public at troback.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> having some problems with acroread7 ln my FreeBSD 5.4 box. When I
> start acroread7 I receve the followning error:
>
> ----SNIP-----
> (acroread:21821): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown
> user id (10001)
> ----SNIP-----
>
> 10001 is my NIS uid!
>
> All my other apps are working (including acroread5)!

You forgot to set up the Linux nsswitch.conf, or else it accidentally
got overwritten.

 [808] (be-well) ~> cat /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/pkg-message
 This software is based in part on the work of the FreeType Team.
 See <URL:http://www.freetype.org/>.

 Installation of the Linux base system is
 finished. The Linux kernel mode, which
 must be enabled for Linux binaries to run,
 is now enabled. Linux mode can be enabled
 permanently with the linux_enable variable
 of rc.conf(5).

 To make use of NIS you have to adjust yp.conf and nsswitch.conf in
 /compat/linux/etc/ accordingly. For example:

 Set your yp-server and yp-domainname in yp.conf:
 domainname     my.yp.domainname
 ypserver       my.yp.server

 Let your lists for hosts, passwd and group be resolved via nsswitch.conf:
 passwd:     files nis
 shadow:     files nis
 group:      files nis
 hosts:      files dns nis