tar(1) versus unzip

Skip Ford skip.ford at verizon.net
Wed Sep 14 13:36:23 PDT 2005

Why do ports that need to unzip a file still depend on unzip?

I uninstalled unzip way back when bsdtar(1) was able to unzip but
several ports still try to install it even though the system's
native tar can unzip their files just fine, at least with the
zipped ports I use.

Looks like the magic to handle it can just go into a file in
ports/Mk with USE_ZIP, but my Makefile-writing skills aren't good
enough to do it.  I also don't know the version of FreeBSD that
first included bsdtar with zip as the native tar.

So, is there some reason unzip is still needed on all systems or
has no one with the knowledge had the time to fix it?

--
Skip