Depreciating ports: net/pf, net/authpf

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Sep 13 12:38:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:52:32PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> long overdue I would like to remove the two ports above as they are not
> maintained at all.  They are only meaningful for 5.0 -> 5.2.1 anyway.  The
> question I have is: How do I do it?  Anyone able to help/just do it?

The Makevars we invented to give users advance warning is documented in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-deprecated.html .
Periodically I post a list of these and when they are intended to expire.

I'm of two minds of what to do here -- we still do have a small percentage
of our userbase on these releases, despite the fact that they are not
supported.  OTOH if you want to argue that these ports are only useful
for adding new functionality, and only for those releases, then I would
think that we wouldn't need to support that at all and they could just be
immediately deleted.

mcl