Passing Options to Dependancies During make

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Sep 8 20:05:19 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 08:36:00PM -0500, Brian Kee wrote:
> How would one go about passing OPTIONS to a dependancy during a port make.
> For example,
>  PORTA depends upon PORTB, but to build PORTB correctly so that is has some
> functionality required to operate correctly with PORTA you have to set some
> option (WITH_XXX) during the build process of PORTB. How can one configure
> the PORTA Makefile to tell the PORTB Makfile to use a specific option?
>  Is this possible?
>  If we set WITH_XXX=yes during the make of PORTA, will this be passed down
> to the build process of PORTB?
> (e.g. cd /usr/ports/PORTA; make WITH_XXX=yes)

This is a FAQ.  The real answer is that even if you could do this, it
wouldn't work if the user already had PORTB installed, and what you
should do is make a slave port of PORTB that turns on the option by
default and CONFLICTS with the main PORTB, so it will at least fail
gracefully in this case.

Kris