symlinks and virtual categories [Was: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports]

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Sun Oct 23 18:10:09 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:05:18PM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> >    Hey, what about materialized virtual categories? A bunch of
> >    symlinks, and everyone's happy. Or is that too much for CVS?
> >
> It would probably be too much for CVS to handle, instead someone could
> modify bsd.port.mk to create the virtual category directories and then
> symbolicly link the ports into these categories.

This is probably getting quite off-topic here but I have just coded this
script to implement what you describe. Someone probably already
implemented such thing but I had 10 minutes to spare between two
simulation runs...

Basically you may set PORTSDIR to a specific path (or else the script
uses /usr/ports) and run the script. It will create the directories
related to virtual categories and symlink ports into them.

Herve