Flaws in the ports system?

Parv parv at pair.com
Thu Oct 20 17:20:52 PDT 2005

in message <435825F8.4020305 at datacomm.ch>,
wrote Benjamin Lutz thusly...

> - Searching. Personally, I strongly dislike make search because its
>   way too verbose. Search results easily fill several screenfuls,
>   and grepping it is not trivial. I've worked around this one by
>   creating a tool that writes grep-able sub-indexes to disk in a
>   more concise format, the tool's available here:
>   http://www.maxlor.com/freebsd-scripts.shtml

It seems anybody who does not like "make search" and is able to
generate an alternative, does.  I did.  And so did[0] Matthew Seaman
by having sysutils/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex in the ports system.  From the
port's description file ...

  cache-init, cache-update, find-updated and portindex are a set of
  perl scripts built around the common core of the FreeBSD::Portindex
  modules. Their use is to generate and maintain the ports INDEX or
  INDEX-5 files speedily and efficiently. Ultimately they work in a
  very similar way to the standard make index command, except that the
  FreeBSD::Portindex tools keep a cache of the make describe output
  from each port, and can update that cached data incrementally as the
  ports tree itself is updated.

  WWW: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/

[0] I am not speaking on behalf of Matthew S, but making one
    particular point.

  - Parv