[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Ian G iang at iang.org
Wed Oct 19 09:00:28 PDT 2005

(To all)

Wes Peters wrote:

> That's exactly the point I was (and am) trying to argue against.  I
> have to resort to 'make search' to find emacs tools these days  because
> they've been thrown all over the ports system by well-meaning  but
> misguided contributors, and I'd hate to see that happen to  eclipse
> tools too.

As the directory structure imposes Big->Small naming
on the ports, and this is always going to be inadequate.
Many ports will have multiple namings and multiple
ways of indexing that make lots of sense.  The directory
structure gives one indexing and one name only though.

The problem is not where Eclipse or a plugin is located,
rather, it is that the directory structure cannot support
anything more complex than the simplest naming schemes.

Moving Eclipse does not change this, only improving
the search tools can help here.  So what is needed
is something that deals with:

    searchports eclipse plugin python

or somesuch.

iang