[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Mon Oct 17 12:55:44 PDT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 11:56,  the author Jan Grant contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Vizion wrote:
>> You guys just do not get it.
>>
>> I have spent over 45 five years in the computer industry and am fed up
>> with technologists who think in terms of their precious systems rather
>> than on behalf of people that use them.
>
>This is an open-source project; patches speak louder than words. There
>is a process outlined in the porters' handbook (that I've pointed you at
>before) for getting ports system rejigs to even be considered.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-c
>ategories.html#PROPOSING-CATEGORIES
>
>(Given the ability of existing tools to search for ports in "half-assed"
>virtual categories, I think you overstate your case.)

Sorry but those who think this way  do not get it..

You cut out a highly significant part of my posting so I repeat it in full.

>> I have spent over 45 five years in the computer industry and am fed up with
>>technologists who think in terms of their precious systems rather than on
>>behalf of people that use them.

Your response :
> patches speak louder than words.

Gives additional weight to my words. You are reinforcing my point. The
division between the perceptions of a technological old guard and the emrging
needs of a new breed of users whose attitudes come from a user's appreciation
of the extra-technological implications of technological changes. I would
argue that the technologist is always one step behind the consumer in
appreciating the realworld potential of the products of technology.

I saw microsoft meteoric rise just because those who were providing patches
and code in the **ix fraternity would not listen to the demands of system
users. The technologist who thought in terms of system did not heed the needs
of users.

The problem can be both identified and summarized by the notion of that
technological competence needs non-technological direction if it is going to
be produce results that are socially sustainable.

I would appreciate it if, in the light of the history of modern day computing,
you would not so obviously seek to belittle the voices of those who do not
see things through an internal FreeBSD methodolgical filter.

>>You do not get it that the ports systems, as currently configured, is  out
>>of date as far as the newly emerging framework centric applications model
>>as against the traditional application centric model.

Framework centric applications need their own hierarchy so that plugins can be
managed within the hierarchy. So my comment:

>>We now need a category /ports/eclipse and not this ridiculous scattering
 >>arounf the system or some half hearted 'virtual' solution that gets in the
 >>way of a real framework centric solution.

Was, I feel, more apt than your response:
>(Given the ability of existing tools to search for ports in "half-assed"
>virtual categories, I think you overstate your case.)

Which shows again how those who think that way do not get it.

The issue is not about searching it is about having a hierarchy that works for
a framework centric processing model!

Your response:
>There is a process outlined in the porters' handbook (that I've pointed you
> at before) for getting ports system rejigs to even be considered.

Shows again do not get it. You do not think about user you are thinking about
users can be made to work with current internal regulatory processes. This
approach can be seen as somewhat condescending.

The user does not want to be embroiled in the process of determining how user
needs are to be met or weighed down by a bureaucracy that was devised to meet
yesterday's problems. Those who maintain/create the bureaucracy need to find
ways of usig their accumulated wisdom to help recreate and reconfigure rather
than demand that others jump through hoops.

It was the failure of the **ix community to modify its relationship to its
users that led to the rise of the poorer technology of microsoft.

Those of us within the Freebsd community need to grasp the fact that the
future of comuting applications lies increasingly in common framework centric
approaches to processing that encompass common developmental and application
interfaces. hence division by application type (which is how ports are
categorized) is not the way to go.

>>I am sick to death of hearing the same old appeal based on "mot making an
>> exception" which really means "I want to bury my head in the sand" and
>>stick to the old ways of doing things.

>>And before anyone tells me -- yes I am angry.
And will probably stay angry until some of the old guard begin to get it and
not just in this area.
I do not want FreeBSD to finish up as just another carrier for Linux
applications. It is not enough to satisfy our existing user base. It is not
enough to stick to the ways things have been done in the past.

The ports system is fantastic BUT it is now showing its age.

The freedsd docs system is incredibly good but it does not provide context
driven help.

The freebsd install system is good but it does not have a user ventric
installation process.

The configuration system needs a web interface.

If all our energies go towards increasing system functionality rather then
identifying how we can catching up on user convenience then in the battle for
tomorrow's users we will lose out to competition.

Will will finish up satisfying our technological impulses and losing touch
with our potential place in tomorrow's world

My two pennorth

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.