autotools on freebsd

enrico.sirola at gmail.com enrico.sirola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:10:08 PDT 2005

Hello,
I'm going to use automake/libtool/autoconf on freebsd. The project is
a library using libtool. I installed the autotools from the ports and
defined the following environment variables:

export AUTOCONF="/usr/local/bin/autoconf259"
export AUTOHEADER="/usr/local/bin/autoheader259"
export AUTOMAKE="/usr/local/bin/automake19"
export ACLOCAL="/usr/local/bin/aclocal19"
export AUTOPOINT="/usr/local/bin/autopoint"
export LIBTOOLIZE="/usr/local/bin/libtoolize15"

then I run

autoreconf259 --force --install

and I see the AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is undefined, so I guess the
libtool15.m4 macro file is in the wrong directory. Running

aclocal19 --print-ac-dir

shows

/usr/local/share/aclocal19

while libtools' macros are in

/usr/local/share/aclocal

What i've done in order to make aclocal happy is to add a dirlist file
to /usr/local/share/aclocal19 containing /usr/local/share/aclocal,
anyway I guess this isn't the right way to do things. What is the
canonical way to use libtool on freebsd?
Thanks in advance,
enrico

--
Enrico Sirola <enrico.sirola at gmail.com>