[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:15:08 PDT 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 03:20,  the author Panagiotis Astithas contributed
to the dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>Wes Peters wrote:

>>> Although I agree with everything you say here, I can't see how this
>>> is an argument against the fact that GEF and CDT most probably  belong
>>> to devel. Unless I'm mistaken and you were not making one?
>>
>> I was making an argument that regardless of where eclipse migrates  too,
>> all of it's little pieces should go right along with it, rather  than
>> getting spread all over the ports system.
>
>Since you snipped Mark's reply in your quote, let me clarify that my
>comments above were directed to Mark and I agree with your point.
>However I'm not sure whether there has to be a strict rule that every
>eclipse-foo port should go in the same category. Perhaps the emacs
>precedent should be followed. See below.
>
>Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:14:59 +0900 (JST)
> >
> > Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>Hi eclipse and eclipse related ports maintainers and users!
> >>	Some time ago, someone suggested that eclipse and eclipse
> >>	related ports should be located on proper categories.  I
> >>	think so.  So I suggest following repocopy list.  Anyone,
> >>	do you have any idea?
> >
> > 	Oops, I missed.  Eclipse is very similar to Emacs:
> > 	1. IDE
> > 	   Emacs is a one of IDE(or platform).  And anyone doesn't
> > 	   think that it is ONLY a elisp interpreter.  But it is
> > 	   a editor.  So I think that it is no problem that Eclipse
> > 	   may be categolize to editors.
> >
> > 	2. Extension-able
> > 	   Emacs has many extention modules like news reader, language
> > 	   support, games, ...
> >
> > 	3. Mode
> > 	   Emacs has many mode for descriptions like C, Perl, Java, ...
> >
> > 	4. others
> > 	   It must be that there are other similar feature:-).
> >
> >  	java/eclipse                -> editors/eclipse
> >  	java/eclipse-EPIC           -> editors/eclipse-EPIC
> >  	java/eclipse-cdt            -> editors/eclipse-cdt
> >  	java/eclipse-checkstyle     -> devel/eclipse-checkstyle
> >  	java/eclipse-clay-core      -> databases/eclipse-clay-core
> >  	java/eclipse-devel          -> editors/eclipse-devel
> >  	java/eclipse-emf            -> editors/eclipse-emf
> >  	java/eclipse-examples       -> devel/eclipse-examples
> >  	java/eclipse-gef            -> editors/eclipse-gef
> >  	java/eclipse-gef-examples   -> editors/eclipse-gef-examples
> >  	java/eclipse-langpack       -> editors/eclipse-langpack
> >  	java/eclipse-log4e          -> editors/eclipse-log4e
> >  	java/eclipse-lomboz         -> devel/eclipse-lomboz
> >  	java/eclipse-pmd            -> devel/eclipse-pmd
> >  	java/eclipse-quantum        -> databases/eclipse-quantum
> >  	java/eclipse-sqlexplorer    -> databases/eclipse-sqlexplorer
> >  	java/eclipse-sysdeo-tomcat  -> www/eclipse-sysdeo-tomcat
> >  	java/eclipse-uml            -> editors/eclipse-uml
> >  	java/eclipse-v4all          -> editors/eclipse-v4all
> >  	java/eclipse-vep            -> editors/eclipse-vep
> >  	java/eclipse-vep-examples   -> editors/eclipse-vep-examples
> >  	java/eclipse-viplugin       -> editors/eclipse-viplugin
> [...]
Sounds crazy to me...
Scattering eclipse tools over the whole ports collections is, to my mind, a
retrograde, rather than a positive step. There are another 290 pus eclipse
tools to bring on board!!
I would continue to advocate for a single collection
david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.