Make broken in 6.0 ([ports-i386@pointyhat.freebsd.org: empire-1.7 failed on i386 6])

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Oct 11 19:11:17 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:00:24PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> For some reason a number of ports are failing with this error on the
> latest build.  I suspect that a change may have been merged to some
> part of the base system that broke them.  Can someone please take a
> look?
>
> Kris

> ===>  Configuring for empire-1.7
> ===>  Building for empire-1.7
> Unknown modifier ' '
>
> Error expanding embedded variable.
> *** Error code 2

This seems to be from make trying to execute a $(shell ...) command.
This seems to be broken:

VERSION=$(shell sed <bs.spec -n -e '/Version: \(.*\)/s//\1/p')

xor# make -V VERSION
Unknown modifier ' '

Unknown modifier ' '

Unknown modifier ' '

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
+PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP:.*

I think this must have been broken in make(1) some time ago (if it
ever worked)..the workaround for now is probably to make these ports
use gmake instead [1].

Kris

[1] jasone actually discovered this when I was testing some of his
other patches, which flagged this more explicitly as an error.