Zend Studio

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:43:48 PDT 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 16:00,  the author Vizion contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: Zend Studio:

>On Thursday 06 October 2005 15:52,  the author Vizion contributed to the
>dialogue on-
>
> Re: Zend Studio:
>>On Thursday 06 October 2005 15:39,  the author Shane Ambler contributed to
>> the dialogue on-
>>
>> Re: Zend Studio:
>>>I think you will find there is no need for one.
>>>
>>>Zend programs are commercial binary distributions that include an
>>> installer - there is nothing that needs to be patched to get it running .
>>>
>>>You should find that if your untar the files you listed and cd into the
>>> dir you will find the installer script.

Sorry but that view is totally unreal.

Not one of the ZendStudio tarballs will install and run successfully on
Freebsd 5.3.

The server tarball will.

So will someone please revisit the false notion that ports are not necessary
for Zend. It looks as though the tarballs are designed to work on zenix but
not on freebsd.

I am hopeful that there will be some response fairly soon.

Thanks

david

>>There are some problems I will mention the least significant first.
>>1. Zend has a weird hack which moves php.ini away from /usr/local/etc and
>>into /usr/local/etc/Zend
>
>The above should read:
>
>/usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini
>
>>>and replaces the original with a symbolic link.
>>
>> This could cause problems mounting across filing systems and then who know
>> who will be the next developer to decide they want php.ini in their own
>> local dir!!
>
>One of the big advantages of the port system is ther contribution it makes
> to maintaining consistency in installation/deinstallation processes.
>
>>2. ZendStudio-5_0_0Beta.bin dumps core. I am talking with Zend about this
>> and am hoping to get a fix out of them. I will post a notice here if I get
>> one. -----
>>dns1# setenv IATEMPDIR /var/tmp
>>dns1# ./ZendStudio-5_0_0Beta.bin
>>Preparing to install...
>>Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
>>Unpacking the JRE...
>>Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
>>Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
>>
>>Launching installer...
>>
>>Bad system call (core dumped)
>>-----
>>
>>3. No entry is made in the package database.
>>
>>4. There is no provision for de-install.

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.