make port to install to a different PREFIX

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Oct 4 07:11:33 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:28:30AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar / 2005-10-03 15:49:04 -0300:
> > I'm the maintainer of the biology/emboss port. The port
> > installs by default to $PREFIX which, in most cases should
> > be $LOCALBASE (i.e. /usr/local).
> >
> > EMBOSS is a big package, with lots of executable files. It
> > is thus not surprising that some of the executables have the
> > same name as those installed by other ports.
> >
> > Right now these are the recorded conflicts:
> > CONFLICTS=      nss-* qmail-ldap2-* digest-*
> >
> > To work around this, I was thinking about installing
> > biology/emboss by default to PREFIX/emboss.
> > However, I'm having problems in getting this to work.
> >
> > This does not work:
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --prefix=${PREFIX}/emboss
> >
> > and neither does this:
> > PREFIX?= ${PREFIX}/emboss
> >
> > because obviously 'Variable PREFIX is recursive.'
>
>     Either use PREFIX?=${LOCALBASE}/emboss, or use another approach (IMO

This is wrong.  Ports install into PREFIX, not LOCALBASE.

>     better, but depends on whether the configure script supports it):
>     CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--program-prefix=emboss-

Yes, you need to force the vendor software to install where you tell
it to.  Once you figure out how the software installs itself into a
directory of your choosing, just do

EMBOSS_PREFIX?=${PREFIX}/emboss

and install into ${EMBOSS_PREFIX}.

Kris