broken openssl on freebsd60

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Sat Nov 26 00:07:52 GMT 2005

Interesting... I run a headless machine (no keyboard or monitor --
everything is through an ssh terminal)... will it work even then?

> 1) Update your ports
This happens nightly, but did it again for good measure.

> 2) Install /sysutils/portmanager
Done.

> 3) portsclean -C -D -DD -L -P -PP
Done... with the following results

cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/packages/All
find: /usr/ports/packages: No such file or directory
** /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.4 is shadowed by /lib/libcrypto.so.4
        /lib/libcrypto.so.4     <- ?
        /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.4   <- openssl-beta-0.9.8a
 --> This may be an undesirable situation
Leave /lib/libcrypto.so.4 (specify -i to ask on this)

** /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.4 is shadowed by /usr/lib/libssl.so.4
        /usr/lib/libssl.so.4    <- ?
        /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.4      <- openssl-beta-0.9.8a
 --> This may be an undesirable situation
Leave /usr/lib/libssl.so.4 (specify -i to ask on this)

** Clean out /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg manually on occasions.
** Try using libchk(1) (sysutils/libchk) to find out unreferenced libraries.
bobby#

> 4) pkgdb -Fu
bobby# pkgdb -Fu
--->  Updating the pkgdb
--->  Checking the package registry database
Duplicated origin: devel/apr-svn - apr-nothr-db4-1.0.1_1
apr-nothr-db4-1.2.2_1
Unregister any of them? [no]
bobby#

> 5) portsdb -Uu

yields,

bobby# portsdb -Uu
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please
wait../libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found, required
by "pg_config"
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found, required by
"pg_config"
erserver-1.2_3: "/usr/ports/databases/postgresql-server" non-existent --
dependency list incomplete
===> databases/erserver failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error
bobby#

Not sure what to do here. My cvsupfile looks like:

*default host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=RELENG_6_0
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.
doc-all
www
cvsroot-all

bobby#

which I think is alright.

and of course, I never got to these steps...

> 6) Clean out the entire /usr/ports/distfiles directory
> 7) portmanager -u -f -l -y

is this the same as a clean install?