FreeBSD ccache port is wonderfiul!

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 07:41:20 GMT 2005

On 11/22/05, tridge at samba.org <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>  > Beware, ccache brings bad luck in quite a few cases.
>  > Start using it for /usr/src and first effects will be visible
>  > in a few weeks. IMHO, ccache has still some way to
>  > go in order into production. Stability is perfect, but
>  > we need some features to prevent unexpected results.
>
> can you elaborate? There are certainly cases that ccache will punt,
> and just pass through to the normal compiler when it doesn't know how
> to handle a complex situation, but if you know of any cases where
> ccache will actually produce an incorrect object file or binary then
> please let me know (preferably with some way of reproducing it).
>
> Cheers, Tridge

I am pretty sure that most of failures are caused by
bad makefiles/configure scripts. Still, it seems like
sometimes ccache is the cause. Makeworld script
has been tested quite thouroughly - and it almost
surely fails on -STABLE after running it about 5
times with ccache (provided there are some changes
in src). Or is it just me?

A couple of weeks ago I just grew tired and stopped
using ccache. Maybe it's time for some investigation.
Lack of any relevant experience doesn't help, but
let me try. I'll start with the next build.