UPDATING - needs updating?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Mon Nov 21 21:32:20 GMT 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:06:00 -0800
Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 21 November 2005 12:57,  the author Ion-Mihai Tetcu
> contributed to the dialogue on-
>  Re: UPDATING - needs updating?:
>
> >On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:35 -0500
> >
> >Wesley Shields <wxs at csh.rit.edu> wrote:

> >> I think this is probably a bad idea, simply from a historical
> >> perspective.  If I wanted to chase down a bug that was available
> >> only for a specified time period I would like to know the
> >> corresponding UPDATING entries.
> >
> >there are enough old machines out there for which the "old"
> >instructions still apply; in some cases it might not be able to
> >update w/o intermediary steps.
>
> Interesting perspective..
>
> You have got me wondering if a web interface could be used to drag
> relevant data from UPDATING based upon the output from pkg_info?

Hmm. I don't see this being a high priority. Your web interface should
also look at depends; if installed ports are very out-of-date it's
possible that one port mentioned in the file will depend on an other;
and you'll want to check MOVED too. What it would be really nice in
regard of automatic processing of UPDATING is to have CATEGORY/PORTNAME
listed on AFFECTS list. I.e.: 20051105:
  AFFECTS: users of x11-toolkits/qt33
- this one I can easily grep (I have the date and the port)

20051105:
  AFFECTS: all users of gnome/glib/gtk
- this one is much harder to process;

I keep ports fairly updated on my machines because I don't want to run
in this king of trouble, but this is not always possible.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #441:
Hash table has woodworm