FreeBSD ccache port is wonderfiul!

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:35:00 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 08:25, Andrew P. wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Michael C. Shultz <ringworm01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To: Andrew Gordon
> >
> > I am the aurthor of sysutils/portmanager, a FreeBSD program.  Testing
> > involves downgrading to a few months ago then upgrading that colletion of
> > about 450 ports to current status.  This cycle used to take 4 to 5 days
> > on an AMD +2000 system then someone told me about ccache, now I can do it
> > in less than 24 hours!  Wonderful program, thanks much for a job well
> > done!
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > ps: I cc'ed freebsd-ports at freebsd.org in case others like myself haven't
> > heard of this program yet, it may be found in /usr/ports/devel/ccache.

> Beware, ccache brings bad luck in quite a few cases.
> Start using it for /usr/src and first effects will be visible
> in a few weeks. IMHO, ccache has still some way to
> go in order into production. Stability is perfect, but
> we need some features to prevent unexpected results.
>
> All in all, it sure is a great tool. At some point in time
> make failed to implement this functionality (or we
> failed to use it in a proper way). Ccache is just a work-
> around, but a very nice one.
>
> Distcc also deserves some kind words.

I haven't tied it on build world yet, but I have noticed one thing with
cdrecord and cdrecord-cjk, that they mung up the CC variable
and the sample given in /usr/local/share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt
needs to be changed to

.if !defined(NOCCACHE)
CC=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
CXX=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/c++