watch for files

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 16 02:48:57 PST 2005

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> =Is there an utility to watch files changes and make some defined
> =actions. Actions defined in a configuration file.
>
> On the low level BSDs have kqueue. On the higher level there is the devel/fam
> port, which uses smart mechanisms on Linux and Irix, but resorts to
> inefficient polling everywhere else, including BSD.
>
> An attempt to teach fam the benefits of kqueue exists at:
>
> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsdfam
>
> but appears to have stalled. If you have "milk and time", you best improve the
> devel/fam. If not, you can just the existing fam API and wait for someone
> else to make it BSD-aware and efficient.

devel/gamin is a (well, partial) drop-in replacement for fam that makes use
of kqueue(2). From my experience, it works nicely with GNOME and KDE.

--
Best regards / Viele Grüße,                             barner at FreeBSD.org
 Simon Barner                                                barner at gmx.de