Latest __FREEBSD__ value for each release

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Nov 15 20:52:21 PST 2005

Hi folks,

For an upcoming FreshPorts project, I want to extract the latest
value for __FREEBSD__ for each branch.  I'm hoping someone can save
me some time and write a small perl script for me.  Thanks.

Given the release tags for the 4, 5, 6, and 7 branches[1], grab
src/sys/sys/param.h from cvsweb[2], and grep for __FreeBSD_version.

What I need printed out on a single line is something like this.

4 492100
5 504104
6 600100
7 700006

Try starting with something like this:

my %Branches = ('HEAD' => 7, 'RELENG_6' => 6, 'RELENG_5' => 5,
'RELENG_4' => 4);

Thank you.

[1] - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-
tags.html