Why does security/amavisd-new depend on db3?

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 23:09:15 PST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 22:52, Craig Boston wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:01:26PM +0800, Jiawei Ye wrote:
> > in pkgtools.conf:
> >   MAKE_ARGS = {
> >         'databases/p5-BerkeleyDB' => 'WITH_BDB_VER=42',
> >
> > in pm-020.conf
> > databases/p5-BerkeleyDB|WITH_BDB_VER=42|
>
> Does it work if you also set WITH_BDB_VER for security/amavisd-new?
>
> I suspect that the dependencies being registered at install time for
> amavisd-new are being calculated based on the environment at that time,
> by recursing the ports tree rather than looking at installed packages.
>
> A quick glance looks like:
>
> cd /usr/ports/security/amavisd-new && make package-depends-list
>
> shows bdb3 normally, and changes to bdb42 when WITH_BDB_VER=42 is set.
> IIRC portupgrade and portmanager both install ports one at a time, so if
> the list is created in this way you may need to make sure the options
> are consistent for all the ones affected by them...
>
> If that works, it's not necessarily portmanager's fault but rather a bug
> (feature?) in the ports system.
>
> Craig

The WITH_BDB_VER=42 only needs to be applied to databases/p5-BerkeleyDB,

when "portmanager security/amavisd-new" is run ports will build in this order:

ports/databases/db42			before
databases/p5-BerkeleyDB		before
security/amavisd-new

I'm sure there is a simple explanaition for the problem if Jiawei would only
post something demonstrating how things are going wrong for him instead of
merely describing what he thinks is happening.

-Mike