Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Sun Nov 13 07:11:43 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 05:58:14PM +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 03:25:59PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Yes, that's my main gripe with it as well. It's at least imaginable that
> > people would want to set the same dependency trigger for every port they
> > install, like WITH_ARTS (although it's just as well imaginable that they only
> > want it for one or two ports in particular, which we traditionally only
> > support very badly and ought to fix), but it's hardly imaginable that anybody
> > would want every port they install to be built with debug symbols.
>
> I must note that f.e. global WITH_X11 at least makes some sense, if you
> have X11 (with exception that you still need to run some console variants
> say, remotely, so some way to turn it off per port must exists), but I
> can't say even that about global WITH_DEBUG, it is totally useless.

I totally agree with that; it's just that having 127 _unobviously_
named DEBUG knobs is also totally useless.

E.g., for audio/arts, do I need to set 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes' to get
debugging symbols? I don't know and I can't quickly look it up.

Michael's proposal for 'WITH_<portname>_DEBUG' is ultimately the way
to go.

--Stijn

--
An Orb is for life, not just for Christmas.