Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 13 06:26:12 PST 2005

On Sunday, 13. November 2005 13:50, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:24:02PM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:01:58 +0300
> >
> > Andrey Chernov <ache at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > > *DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just
> > > -g adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.
> > > It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
> > > I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.
> > > WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
> > > /etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.
> >
> > 	I don't think so.  There are 127ports supported DEBUG related
> > 	knobs.  Only 127ports, and there are some ports which we
> > 	request with DEBUG related knobs at the most.
> >
> > 	'WITH_DEBUG' is well known and global knob.  This is POLA
> > 	important.  If you want to turn on/off per port, you can
> > 	set following description in /etc/make.conf.  This is ungy,
> > 	sure.  But it's casual.
>
> First of all, I don't see any sense to turn debug for all 127 ports at
> once. For many years the only need I see - turn for one of them. So it
> isn't "global knob" as you say. It is local per port knob and should not
> affect other ports.

Yes, that's my main gripe with it as well. It's at least imaginable that
people would want to set the same dependency trigger for every port they
install, like WITH_ARTS (although it's just as well imaginable that they only
want it for one or two ports in particular, which we traditionally only
support very badly and ought to fix), but it's hardly imaginable that anybody
would want every port they install to be built with debug symbols.

> > .if ${.CURDIR} == "/usr/ports/foo/bar"
> > WITH_DEBUG=	yes
> > .endif
> > .if ${.CURDIR} == "/usr/ports/bar/foo"
> > WITH_DEBUG=	yes
> > .endif

So are you consciously trying to make using ports *more* complicated or have
you just been using make(1) for so such a long time you forgot how long it
took you to learn about using make conditionals and the .CURDIR variable? 8-)

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org