Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Andrey Chernov ache at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Nov 13 04:50:49 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:24:02PM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:01:58 +0300
> Andrey Chernov <ache at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > *DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just -g
> > adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.
> > It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
> > I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.
> > WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
> > /etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.
>
> 	I don't think so.  There are 127ports supported DEBUG related
> 	knobs.  Only 127ports, and there are some ports which we
> 	request with DEBUG related knobs at the most.
>
> 	'WITH_DEBUG' is well known and global knob.  This is POLA
> 	important.  If you want to turn on/off per port, you can
> 	set following description in /etc/make.conf.  This is ungy,
> 	sure.  But it's casual.

First of all, I don't see any sense to turn debug for all 127 ports at
once. For many years the only need I see - turn for one of them. So it
isn't "global knob" as you say. It is local per port knob and should not
affect other ports.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/