portupgrade apache2 forgets modules, trashes other modules (svn)

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Nov 11 07:35:33 PST 2005

On Nov 11, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Chris Shenton wrote:

> I've built Apache2 from ports with PROXY and SSL modules, which are
> not
> in the default set.  When I do a portupgrade to apache2, it only
> builds the default set so I lose my PROXY and SSL capabilities.

Because not everyone needs them?  But SSL is on by default, so I'm
not sure what went wrong for you.

> I've had to rebuild the port from the port directly, and specify the
> non-default modules.  Shouldn't the port remember which modules I've
> asked for and build those when I do a portupgrade?  If so, how do I
> do this?

If you build a port with non-standard options, you need to tell
portupgrade what those are if you expect it to keep those options
turned on when it rebuilds your software.

ports that use the OPTIONS interface will do this automatically.

personally, I set various options in my /etc/make.conf file like this:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/apache2}
WITH_PROXY_MODULES=YES
.endif

so that no matter how I rebuild a port it gets the proper options set.

> My "manual" build of ports/web/apache2 went OK and I did a "deinstall"
> and "reinstall" to replace the old port.  But this removed some
> critical modules like Subversion's DAV support!  How do I prevent this
> in the future?  I didn't expect the port to remove software installed
> by other ports.

Did you de-install all depending ports as well, because mod_dav_svn
is a port that depends on apache2 being installed.

I'd recommend setting your non-default options in /etc/make.conf and
then letting portupgrade take care of the rest.