Request for comments: port-tags

Anton Berezin tobez at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 9 06:32:37 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 04:46:34PM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:

> I would like to point http://bsd2.be/port-tags/ to you, and hopefully
> get you to check it out and make your comments and suggestions.
>
> Below is the contents of http://bsd2.be/about-port-tags.html:
>
> Port-tags is like del.icio.us [http://del.icio.us/] for FreeBSD ports
> collection.
>
> The idea is to make ports classification easier and more convenient.
> Instead of using predefined and limited set of port categories,
> port-tags uses short one-word descriptions called tags. A port can have
> an arbitrary number of tags associated with it. One can use the web
> interface (and maybe a command-line interface in the future) to view
> only the ports that have particular tags associated with them. This
> process is very efficient in narrowing down the number of sought ports.

It occured to me from some IRC conversations and from observing the
access log, is that a number of people only try to click on a single tag
at a time (producing understandable "so what?" reaction).

The real advantage of the interface is that, once a particular tag is
chosen, the "Related tags" cloud appears, allowing one to limit the
subset of matching ports even further.

"devel" is useless.  "devel+mail" is much more useful.

Just to be clear on this point.

\Anton.
--
An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.
-- Robert A. Humphrey