port devel/subversion

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 8 08:20:23 PST 2005

Hello Edwin,

EM> Why did you update subversion to a pre-release (that is: unstable)
EM> version of 1.3.0, while 1.2.3 is the current recommended version by the
EM> subversion team?  People (like me) are counting on a stable subversion
EM> client/server in the ports tree...  Perhaps the 1.3.0rc? can move to a
EM> seperate port, for instance devel/subversion-devel...  I'd really like
EM> to see a stable, released version in the main port...
 Because:
 (a) This RC is fixed many bugs, which was reported to me as port's maintainer. Backport patches when release will be in month or less is not what I want to do.
 (b) Some gcc maintainers need this version, because gcc project uses subversion now and REQUIRES 1.3.0-rc1 or later.
 (c) We need to test this version on FreeBSD BEFORE release, because sibversion's developers never does tests on FreeBSD themselfs.

 And, last, but not least:

 (d) You is not enforced to update. 1.2.3_3 is Ok for you? Don't updgrade port -- it is simple!

 And about `subversion-devel': 95% of time there is not any alpha, beata or rc versions of subversion project. RC presents for less than a month and even nto for every release, so 95% of time `devel' port will be equal to `simple' one.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org