shared library pain with 6.0-RELEASE : .so.600 ??

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 7 18:02:32 PST 2005

Joe,

First. .600 have nothing in common with FreeBSD release-tag. Those
numbers belong to GNOME/GTK libraries release cycle. Second. Basically
multiple library versions co-existence is not so rosy as you probably
think. Even if you solve header files conflicts there are a lot of
software which alloc/dealloc various kind of resources across modules,
libraries which  extensively use static data etc. etc. etc. This will
lead to very weird run-time behavior.
But on the good note I'd happy to tell that those frequent shared
library bumps was due bug in GNU autohell tools used by GNOME/GTK
software authors. This problem addressed in GNOME 2.12 FreeBSD port
which just hit the repository. So this is a last time you required to
step through massive rebuild w/o a good reason for that.

All the best,
Alexander.