Request for comments: port-tags

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 08:30:14 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 08:14, Anton Berezin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:55:39AM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Monday 07 November 2005 07:46, Anton Berezin wrote:
> > > I would like to point http://bsd2.be/port-tags/ to you, and hopefully
> > > get you to check it out and make your comments and suggestions.
> > >
> > > Port-tags is like del.icio.us [http://del.icio.us/] for FreeBSD ports
> > > collection.
> >
> > I'd like to see a copy of the tags data base. Providing it in a similar
> > maner as the INDEX file might come in handly.
>
> http://bsd2.be/port-tags/port-tags.db - it's an sqlite3 database
> currently.
>
> I will publish the source code in a couple of days time, too.
>
> But speaking about INDEX, it is not inconceivable that we could extend
> its format to include tags as the last |-separated field - if the idea
> takes off.
>
> Cheers,
> \Anton.

Personal preference is a seperate data base, it will slow down generation of
the INDEX anyways if you combine them and will be more efficient if set up
correctly.  A flat text file IMO is ideal.  A quick glance at your is it
contains too much info. Make it simple and I think more programmers/scripters
will make use of it.

A nice easy layout like:

tag1	| port category | port
tag1	| port category | port
tag1	| port category | port
tag2	| port category | port
tag2	| port category | port
tag2	| port category | port

This all that is really needed, from that pkg-desc or comments may be easily
retreived/searched because your database is provideing a quick index to them,
then all you have to do is concentrate on making the tagging portion smart.

My $0.02

-Mike