Excessive dependancies for OpenOffice 2.0 port

NAKATA Maho chat95 at mac.com
Sun Nov 6 16:30:05 PST 2005

In Message-ID: <200511061358.15971 at Misha>
"Mikhail T." <mi at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> Actually, I do realise that, and, in my opinion, it is _harder_ to keep
> it building the current way. The third-party packages -- installed by
> other ports -- have their own maintainers, who watch out for build
> problems.

These patches should be upstreamed. I'm always trying to fix in main stream
of source code...

> Building a special version of C compiler is, AFAIK, unprecedented.

You must know, even I have been making a large effort to support gcc-3.3
as well (MacOSX has only gcc-3.3 or gcc-4.0). I've never seen from your
name in IssueTracker so I think you are not interested in replacing this,
right?

> Maho -- the soul of our openoffice@ team -- is more of an OOo person,
> than FreeBSD person. And that's the root of it -- OOo's philosophy with
> respect to 3rd-party packages is that it MUST be buildable with the
> bundled versions and, OPTIONALLY, with the already installed ones. A
> FreeBSD port should be different...

*sigh*
As I told before, you can submit new ports which maitainer section is you...
Fill the PR! subit your port!

(BTW: I'm maintaining ~30 ports for FreeBSD)
> I'm trying to make an OOo port that would work on 64-bit arches (my main
> system is amd64). I'm long past the third-party packages problem -- it
> is all about 64-bit integers/pointers now...

Please paticipate in ooo-build. you can follow http://ooo.ximian.com/ .
My first attempt to use ooo-build is already reported at this ML.
and amd64 patches for GNU/Linux are here. I saw Jan at OOoCon2005, and
from his presentation, it is working (but far from release quaility, though)!
But I don't recommend you to try to port it FreeBSD; first, finish
GNU/Linux amd64 port.

-- NAKATA, Maho (maho at FreeBSD.org)