Need a newer version of makeinfo

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira lioux at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 29 16:21:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 09:30:15AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 08:42:18PM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
> > Version 2.6 of Lilypond (print/lilypond) requires makeinfo version
> > 4.7 or higher to build.  Makeinfo is in the base system, but only
> > as version 4.6 in existing releases (version 4.8 was imported into
> > HEAD two days ago).
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this should be handled?
> > Should lilypond extract and build makeinfo as part of its own
> > build process, or should a new port be created for makeinfo?
>
> A makeinfo port might be useful for this and other ports.

	Okay, I've just rolled a port of the latest texinfo 4.8.
Check the sample port at

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~lioux/texinfo.tgz

	I appreciate suggestions. Let me know what do you think
could improve this port. I am still unsure as to if we should
{BUILD,RUN}_DEPENDS on print/teTeX-base since we need tex to build
.tex makeinfo files. However, I believe this should be optional
rather than mandatory since our main concern is generating .info
rather than other formats such as .html

	We could also add some bsd.port.mk specific support with
USE_MAKEINFO so that the MAKEINFO variable would point to the correct
location depending on the base system makeinfo version.  We just
would need a OSVERSION bump when the base makeinfo is updated then
we would test against that to decide whether to use the port of the
base system's one.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature