/usr/ports/distfiles maintenance

Matt Mills matt_mills at btopenworld.com
Fri May 27 04:27:50 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Something which has recently struck me as an unanswered question. How do
you all maintain your /usr/ports/distfiles directory? This isn't a topic
I've *ever* seen discussed or even mentioned in all the years I've been
using FreeBSD.

Obviously over time, you get many different versions of the same
software. These all take up space on your hard disk and eventually
require some kind of cleanup and/or maintenance.

Basically, my question is: is there some piece of software or automated
way of keeping the directory clean of stale sources? I can imagine
obvious problems with automating the process due to different versions
of the same software in separate ports (eg. autoconf, automake, libtool,
etc.)

So, what do you all think?

--
Matt