FreeBSD Port: automake19-1.9.5

Matthew Soffen msoffen at iso-ne.com
Tue May 17 08:39:59 PDT 2005

I'm the non-linux release engineer for Linux HA ( http://www.linux-
ha.org/ ) and the project uses automake/autoconf/libtool extensively.

However, the main developers are developing for Linux ( I'm the person
stuck getting it to run on FreeBSD/etc. ).

I've recently upgraded my dev box to FreeBSD 4.11 ( 5.3 wouldn't install
on the box at all ) .  I installed automake19,  autoconf259, and
libtool15.

However NONE of the Linux HA tools would work.  They were looking for
automake ( not automake19) so as a check, I created soft links.  This
seemed to work until something needed to re-run the autotools.

Then I get errors like this:

WARNING: `automake-1.9' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy
on your
         system.  You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README'
file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for
installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in
case
         some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.9'
program.

The tools is attempting to rebuild using the tools it found ( and the
specific version too ):

ACLOCAL='${SHELL} /usr/local/src/linux-ha/missing --run aclocal-1.9'
AUTOCONF='${SHELL} /usr/local/src/linux-ha/missing --run autoconf'
AUTOHEADER='${SHELL} /usr/local/src/linux-ha/missing --run autoheader'
AUTOMAKE='${SHELL} /usr/local/src/linux-ha/missing --run automake-1.9'

Autoheader and Autoconf appears to not care about the specific tool
versions used, but aclocal and automake do.

Would it be possible to have the package install either a symlink or a
hardlink for the specific files ?

Example:

ls -la /usr/local/bin/ | grep automake
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      10 May 12 02:35 /usr/local/bin/automake -
> automake19
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      10 May 15
02:35 /usr/local/bin/automake-1.9 -> automake19
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  221509 May 12 02:35 /usr/local/bin/automake19

Thanks

Matt Soffen