HEADS UP: mod_perl2 API changes

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Thu May 12 00:43:40 PDT 2005

Hi,

your friendly mod_perl2 maintainer here:

Maintainers of ports depending on www/mod_perl2, be advised that the
API of revisions newer than RC3 - which is what we have currently in
the ports tree - significantly change the API. Applications using the
old API *will* break. I'm personally not too excited about a major
API change during the release process; the mod_perl guys have this to
say (http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html):

> During a sequence of release candidates leading up to the official
> release of mod_perl 2, in late December, 2004 there was
> considerable discussion regarding the choice of namespaces for the
> 2.0 API. The main concern expressed was that some of the Apache::*
> modules used in mod_perl 2 had the same names as those in mod_perl
> 1. After a lively and, at times, heated debate, a proposal was made
> to rename parts of the mod_perl 2 API - see the thread at http://
> marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111135037100002&r=1&w=2. This proposal was
> subsequently voted on and then adopted.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html has instructions on
changing applications to work with the new API. There is an update to
mod_perl2 RC5 in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/
79962, to help you test your updated ports against the new API. I'd
like to update the mod_perl2 port in the future, once the dependent
ports have grown support for the new API.

Feel free to email me with comments.

Lars

PS: If your port supports mod_perl and not mod_perl2, now would be a
good time to consider adding support.
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories