OpenOffice does not work on 4STABLE?

Andrew Sparrow spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net
Wed May 11 12:03:35 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 05:58:37PM +0900, NAKATA Maho wrote:
> In Message-ID: <20050510233750.A81535 at spadger.best.vwh.net>
> Andrew Sparrow <spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net> wrote:
>
> > "The application cannot be started.
> > The configuration service is not available
> > Start the setup application to repair the installation from the CD or the folder
> >  containing the installation packages."
>
> this is famous rtld problem.

"infamous", as far as I'm concerned :)

> see : http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/

I couldn't seem to find anything on either OO.org or via Google
that related to this problem, my bad.

>  FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE/i386, and 4.11-RELEASE/i386 : NOT supported
>
>     We had minor but serious implementation difference in rtld.c between FreeBSD and NetBSD/Linux/Solaris which had been inducing very weired problem, and workaround also inducing a hard-to-track bug. It was fixed after 5.2.1-RELEASE and 4.11-RELEASE. Please see commit log also for details. So we decided to mark these port as BROKEN for them. However, a patch for rtld.c for 4-RELENG and a patch for rtld.c for 5-RELENG are available, and it is totally unsupported. At your own risk, and feedback is welcome.

The precompiled OO package works normally on 4-STABLE with this
patch applied.

The system appears to work fine with the patch applied (although
it's only been on about 10 minutes, and i haven't rebooted yet).

Thank you so much for your help. I am pathetically grateful.. :)

Regards,

AS