OpenOffice does not work on 4STABLE?

NAKATA Maho chat95 at mac.com
Wed May 11 01:59:00 PDT 2005

In Message-ID: <20050510233750.A81535 at spadger.best.vwh.net>
Andrew Sparrow <spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net> wrote:

> "The application cannot be started.
> The configuration service is not available
> Start the setup application to repair the installation from the CD or the folder
>  containing the installation packages."

this is famous rtld problem.

see : http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/

 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE/i386, and 4.11-RELEASE/i386 : NOT supported

    We had minor but serious implementation difference in rtld.c between FreeBSD and NetBSD/Linux/Solaris which had been inducing very weired problem, and workaround also inducing a hard-to-track bug. It was fixed after 5.2.1-RELEASE and 4.11-RELEASE. Please see commit log also for details. So we decided to mark these port as BROKEN for them. However, a patch for rtld.c for 4-RELENG and a patch for rtld.c for 5-RELENG are available, and it is totally unsupported. At your own risk, and feedback is welcome.
    BEFORE BUILDING OPENOFFICE.ORG, FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION
    if you use 4-series:

% su
Password:
# fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~maho/ooo/patch-rtld.c-releng4
# cd /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf ; patch < patch-rtld.c-releng4
# make ; make depend ; make install

    if you use 5-series (prior than 5.3-RELEASE):

% su
Password:
# fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~maho/ooo/patch-rtld.c-releng5
# cd /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf ; patch < patch-rtld.c-releng5
# make ; make depend ; make install

thanks
-- NAKATA, Maho (maho at FreeBSD.org)